Cupcake Aficiando and Writer of Middle Grade Novels
Monday, August 30, 2010
1. The Iron Bodkin went on sale yesterday at Createspace. It's so cool -- you can log into your Createspace account and see how many copies have sold. The stats update almost immediately. And no, I haven't been watching the numbers. (Ok, that's a lie, but I haven't been watching them that much.)
2. The Boise SCBWI regional conference will take place Sept. 10-11th. If you're interested, it's not too late to register. We'll have presentations by agent Jill Corcoran, author Chris Crutcher and editor Cheryl Klien of Arthur A. Levine, as well as workshops featuring local authors Sydney Salter & Kelly Milner Halls, and a debut author panel featuring Sarah Tregay, Laura Bingham and me. Sarah (a member of my critique group for six years) will talk about what it was like to have her book, Love & Leftovers (HarperCollins, 2012) at the heart of a big press bidding war. Laura will talk about life with a small press. And I'll talk about all the things I learned on the weird and wacky publishing journey of The Iron Bodkin.
3. As part of the conference, I'll be signing books at The Rediscovered Bookshop Friday, September 10th. All the authors will be there, so if you live near Boise, come by and visit. Pick up a few books and get them signed. Signed books make GREAT Christmas gifts. (Yes, I did use the C-word. It's not all that far away people!)
4. It's less than two months until the kick-off of the Nevada SCBWI Mentor Program. I've sent my full manuscript off to my mentor, Susan Hart Lindquist. I bought my plane ticket to Reno, where hopefully someone will pick me up and take me to Virginia City. I even have a roomie! I'm all ready to start work and see what ideas Ms. Lindquist has for my MG Magical-Realism book, Gods & Vultures.
5. Lastly,be sure to come back on Wednesday for the Virtual Launch party of The Iron Bodkin. We'll have LOTS of cupcakes and Mt. Dew, games & prizes and all kinds of fun!! Don't forget!